On 01.02.2008, at 12:07, Andreas Zeidler wrote:

On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Martijn Pieters wrote:
On Feb 1, 2008 11:51 AM, Andreas Zeidler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
talking about "weeding out stuff" bring another thing to mind.  not
exactly related to translations, but i'll throw it in here anyway:
tools like pylint[1] and pyflakes[2] have really grown on me ever
since i started using them. imho they not only help with keeping code
clean, but also with quickly catching typos and errors, effectively
saving you a lot of time.

Careful with weeding imports. I recently had to fix a migration issue
for a customer, where a persistent tool had been moved into another
module with an import at the old location. Someone else then ran
pyflakes and removed said import, breaking the migration.

yes, i'm very much aware of these problems having used pyflakes myself for quite some time now. that's one of the reasons i'm bringing this up here (instead of starting to "weed" away on trunk :)).

given the aforementioned possibility of 3rd party breakage i think it's plain that 'pyflakes sanity' is a no-go for 3.1 but perhaps for 4.0? since that will necessitate 3rd party rewrites/adaptions anyway, might as well throw in pyflakes sanity, as well.

i envision a pyflakes wrapper that weeds out some of the stuff that pyflakes ist just not smart enough about (i.e. the warnings it generates for "undefined name '__path__'" etc.) and that a error and warning free run of that wrapper would be mandatory just as zero failures are mandatory already.

ah, well, one can dream... ;-)

cheers,

tom

p.s. i made statusmessages 'pyflakes-sane' when you introduced pyflakes to me at the labelfinder and right after hanno visited us there and helped me fix a bug in it ;-)

andi

--
zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - [EMAIL PROTECTED]