I'm late to this discussion/catching up, but it has been interesting to
read. I've recently started buying some of the Cantrills Filmnotes - some
of the Brakhage & Len Lye issues initially, and in issue #21/22 April 1975,
page 40, Brakhage mentions the insertion of two frames of black and high
number of splices in this film - the article is a transcription of the
intro & (long) discussions after the 1974 screening of "The Text of Light".
there are also interesting discussions about “On Light, or the Ingression
of Forms” by Robert Grosseteste with Hollis Frampton. I found his Zorns
Lemma film on youtube with the reading of this treatise at the end. I fear
it may take a while to read all the issues, as each article leads to
further research, which is great (& similar to this mail list, so thanks)
http://www.arthurandcorinnecantrill.com/contents.html