The films of Raul Ruiz are full of weird "'out of the blue"' events that
are never explained. He talks about them in his Poetic of Cinema books.
Ruiz favored the unexpected

*"'For years I watched so-called Greco-Latin films (toga flicks, with early
Christians devoured by lions, emperors in love and so on). My only interest
in those films was to catch sight of planes and helicopters in the
background, to discover the eternal DC6 crossing the sky during *Ben Hur*‘s
final race, *Cleopatra*‘s naval battle or the *Quo Vadis* banquets* ".

http://sensesofcinema.com/2004/30/raul_ruiz_poetics_of_cinema/