I was actually thinking of Christopher Maclaine's films in the context of
this discussion, particularly *The End*, which has many sort of transitory
shots that don't seem to participate directly in the film and seem sort of
marginal but then later stand out (to me at least) as the most memorable
and powerful images in the film. Luther Price's films—particularly his
recent 16mm found footage films—have a lot of these moments as well—single
shots which have been inserted that seem really really alien and
"other"—like shots you can't even imagine the original context for—that
just drop in and out (once) like rude evil impish commentary from another
dimension. Maybe it won't mean much to many but examples include: shot of a
guy (looks like Lee Oswald) getting a haircut in *Silk* and weird
finger-to-finger sex gesture in *Dipping Sause*. Also the way Price might
include a single shot seemingly randomly placed upside-down (e.g. in *Nice
Biskotts*) in an otherwise right-side up stream of repetitive loopings...

Steve Polta