Doug,

Your signature says you're in Boulder, which has more film than many (most?)
places.  You might start with First Person Cinema, which is one of the longest
running experimental film showcases anywhere; many other filmmakers attend
these screenings, along with the filmmaker in person (as the name implies).
Then there's the Stan Brakhage Film Series, every Sunday.  I run the Handmade
Film Institute just west of Boulder, which is all about photochemical
filmmaking.  And then there's TIE, which isn't just in Colorado any more, but
based here and concerned primarily (exclusively?) with celluloid film.  And the
Brakhage Symposium was just this weekend; part of it was a film loop
installation of Brakhage's Persian series (on film!), which was wonderful and
might still be up.  Then too there are numerous filmmakers in the area who work
now with celluloid (among other things).  It would be a long list.

So, if indeed you're in Boulder, there is no need to feel alone in your making.
 There are plenty of others!

-RS