This is moving slightly away, perhaps, but I think is related to the concern
with literature and cinema.

Konrad Steiner in the Bay Area was doing work in poetry and cinema several
years ago, which has also led to a neo-Benshi movement, which is relevant as
well.  Two of the neo-benshi shows have been done at REDCAT in Los Angeles,
and more in the Bay Area, and I¹m sure elsewhere, all with current
contemporary authors writing new pieces that
accompany/explain/describe/expand upon a film that is playing as they read.

Some links:
http://viz.ucsc.edu/wp/vizArchive/vizEventP92.pdf
http://paulhooverpoetry.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-talkies-neo-benshi-at-deyou
ng.html