Dear Frameworks,

This isn't strictly an experimental film query, but I know many people who
teach read this listerve. My department has delayed for years the decision
about what to do about the transition away from teaching Final Cut Pro 7, and
result has been increasingly chaotic and unsustainable (we've developed a messy
do-whatever-you-want solution where individual faculty members choose which
editing platform to teach, so some of our students only know FCPX, some are
still using FCP7, a handful are learning Premiere on their own, and it's all a
bit of a mess). I'd love to hear from as many instructors as possible about
what your program has done about teaching editing post-FCP7, how you reached
your decision, what your reasons were for teaching or not teaching FCPX, and
how things have been working out.

Please reply off-list if it seems more appropriate: this may or not be a public
discussion topic of interest to others and is maybe a bit off-Frameworks-topic
but it would be very helpful for me to compile some information about what
others are doing.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Best,

Irene Lusztig
Assistant Professor, Film and Digital Media
University of California, Santa Cruz