I am teaching at Dongguk University in Seoul now. I brought over eight super-8 cameras and all the raw products needed to mix together B&W reversal chemicals, 60 rolls of Tri-X, a few viewers and splicers. The school switched to digital five years ago, but they still have a couple of Arriflexes in reserve. The freshman students seem really happy running around with the Nizos, working in the darkroom, projecting their rushes each week and cutting with scissors and tape. The school provided $600 which covered one roll of film per student. Each student paid $8 for darkroom costs for the semester, and they can buy extra rolls of film for $12 a roll. I think this is a cheaper solution that really teaches the basics of filmmaking in a very sensible and direct way that will inform them handily for the rest of their careers.
-Pip Chodorov