My advice is to abandon FCP entirely. This is the rational response due to the fact that Apple has essentially abandoned the educational and professional markets. Nowadays for a decent OS X system you have to drop nearly $4000, not including software. Take a look at their alleged educational discounts, it's a joke. And the whole FCP X debacle caused many users to switch to Premiere.

Premiere used to suck, but that was ten years ago. Now it's totally viable, and I would recommend going that route. It's not perfect, but it's far better than FCP X. Plus, it's cross-platform, if you're into that sort of thing. Please don't flame me because I alluded to Windows. ;)

Aaron