Tim,

I would hold their first projects to one minute in length.  Talk to them up
front about each frame being "precious".  Hold them responsible for what
they shoot.  Talk to them about light, color, motion (the camera moving and
what is being shot as moving).  Keep it extraordinarily essential.  If they
can learn to appreciate the shot that they are making,  if they can think
about composition, color, and the semiotic system within each framed
rectangle,  then they will be able someday to make any kind of film;
narrative, doc, or strictly formal.  Forget this "story telling" stuff.
That is something else.  Teach them about light and motion.  You will then
have empowered them to use a cinematic tool to convey the content of what
ever it is that they want to say to the world.  Then they can tell their
stories if they have something to say.

jk

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Tim Halloran <televis...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> But with our students it actually is "speed" that's killing creativity, as
> they become more and more acclimated to working "fast"--digital cameras,
> digital editing systems, etc. Ah, it's just terrible--so much junk.
>
> Shoot slow, edit slow, experience slow. ;]
>
> Tim
>
>  ------------------------------
> From: fl...@flickharrison.com
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:29:52 -0700
> To: frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com
> Subject: Re: [Frameworks] query for those who teach filmmaking
>
> On Apr 18, 2014, at 15:26 , Tim Halloran <televis...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Slow=bad?!
>
> Bah.
>
> Tim
>

> It's nice to work slowly if you are trying to do so; it's insanely
> annoying if you are not.
>
> Imagine if a painter put a stroke on the canvas and couldn't see it for 30
> seconds afterwards.  Not too many painters are striving to achieve that
> workflow.
>
> ;-)
>
>  --
> ** WHERE'S MY ARTICLE, WORLD?* http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Flick_Harrison
>
> ** FLICK's WEBSITE: *
> http://www.flickharrison.com
>
> [image: Zero for Conduct]<http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ZeroForConduct/~6/2>
>
> ↑ Grab this Headline
> Animator<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/headlineanimator/install?id=90rffbei3nr88m9ci3u0qr9d14&w=2>
>
>  Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 18, 2014, at 1:16 PM, "Flick Harrison" <fl...@flickharrison.com>
> wrote:
>
> ...will sloooooow you down, and that's bad creatively...
>
> - Flick

John Knecht, Russell Colgate Distinguished
 University Professor of Art and Art History
 and Film and Media Studies