Living In Oblivion: the makers don't play themselves, but at least some of
the characters are based on the makers.

One P. M. (Leacock, Pennebaker, Godard)

Then there's the whole genre of documentaries beginning with a set-up of
the makers stating an (ostensible) intent to make a certain kind of film,
after which we see them failing at that and coming up with something else
in the process: Nick Broomfield's "Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial
Killer" and "Kurt and Courtney"; Greggorio Rocha's "Lost Reels of Pancho
Villa", "Waiting for Fidel" (the grandaddy of the form), and, of course,
"Roger and Me."