Hello Frameworkers,

I have a question regarding color preservation of Walter Ruttmann's "Opus"
films, and was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction
or share your insights with me. I am currently researching the use of color
(or lack thereof) in the early "absolute" animations by Viking Eggeling,
Hans Richter and Walter Ruttmann, and recently came across an essay by
William Moritz titled "Non-Objective Film - The Second Generation" (1979).
He states that "we have only fragmentary black-and-white silent prints of
Ruttmann's originally hand-coloured films" - and yet, these
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od0MxuD4xxQ> digital color versions of his
films are widespread online.

So, my question is: What do we actually know about the use of color in
Walter Ruttmann's Opus films, and what sources is this knowledge based on
if his colorized films are not preserved? Have there been any new insights
since Moritz' essay was published? And who made these digital color
versions of his films - are they just amateur work, or are they a legit
institutional reconstruction project?

Any leads you might have regarding the use and preservation of color in
Ruttmann's films or in early abstract films in general will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Laura