Thankd Jeff, will try that. Any idea on how to align the two film strips without the pins? The 16mm seems to be the only one on the right; there are two other holes on the left that might produce pins once it's unglued. Or are 35mm pros so expert they don't need pins?

thanks
Scott

At 03:00 PM 2/8/2015, you wrote:
On this older version, I think the front and back buttons work in tandem — push on the rear one to move pins in one direction, the front to move in the other. Same on each side. The pins may be stuck —try some acetone in the holes around the pins to dissolve old film cement. Work the buttons back and forth.
Good luck!

Jeff Kreines

> On Feb 8, 2015, at 2:33 PM, Scott Stark <sst...@hi-beam.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all, I have a Bell & Howell 35mm/16mm hot splicer that supposedly has "retractable" 16mm registration pins. I'm wanting to cut some 35mm neg on it.
>
> Does anyone know how to retract the pins? And how to align the 35mm film without them? I don't see any other pins other than the 16mm ones right in the middle of the 35mm image. There are some buttons on the sides that don't seem to move, and some other nuts and screws.
>
> Pics:
>
> http://hi-beam.net/temp/IMG_1597.JPG
> http://hi-beam.net/temp/IMG_1596.JPG
>
> I have seen this splicer mentioned here: http://www.smecc.org/film_cameras_for_television_news.htm but could not find a manual for it.