When I first walked into the Sherman Grinberg Film Library in the old Film
Center Building at 630 9th Avenue in the fall of 1983, I was quite surprised
when I was introduced to Andrew Noren, one of the librarians in that strange
place. I couldn't quite put together my emerging life as a business-focused
archival film researcher with my past watching ag/experimental films under
semi-utopian conditions in California, but Andrew confirmed that he was indeed
the filmmaker whose work had left such a strong impression before going into
the vaults to pick out a few cans of nitrate neg for me to put on the Moviola
flatbed. I recall that he pulled the Paramount newsreel neg for me showing
Fiorello LaGuardia reading the comics over the radio during the 1945 newspaper
strike. In retrospect I can see how working with nitrate in his day job may
have influenced his sensibility.

Rick

Rick Prelinger / @footage
Prelinger Archives, San Francisco    http://www.prelinger.com
foot...@panix.com

Associate Professor, Film & Digital Media, UC Santa Cruz
r...@ucsc.edu

Prelinger Library (http://www.prelingerlibrary.org), a member of the
Intersection Incubator, a program of Intersection for the Arts providing fiscal
sponsorship, incubation and consulting to artists
(http://www.theintersection.org).