Some other Brakhage films that employ scratching: earliest example (briefly) is in "Reflections On Black" (1955); later, more substantially, in "He was born, he suffered, he died" (1974); and later yet, several films with words scratched over image, "I . . . Dreaming" (1988), "For Marilyn" (1992) and "Night Mulch and Very" (2001). And there was the Ellipses series of so-called "scratch and stain films" : ". . . " Reels One to Five (1998).

Marilyn Brakhage