McLuhan's "hot" and "cool" media from the 60s.

     /\
<  DV  >  Gregory Gutenko
     \/

On Aug 8, 2016, at 2:05 PM, Tara Nelson
<brendamere...@gmail.com<mailto:brendamere...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello Mr. Withers,

I am very interested in the topic of perception and frame rates in film vs.
video.  My own work has involved research on the technical differences between
moving image formats, and the effect of those differences on the human
perceptual mechanism.

I began conducting research on this topic in 2009, while in Graduate School at
MassArt.  At the time I was working in Super 8 and 16mm film, and observed that
audiences had a greater empathetic response to Super 8 film (18 fps with lower
image definition) than to 16mm (24 fps with higher image definition), even when
the image was identical.  I was also studying the work of Rose
Lowder<http://lightcone.org/en/filmmaker-199-rose-lowder> and reading Movement
as Meaning In Experimental Film
<https://www.amazon.com/Movement-Meaning-Experimental-Consciousness-Literature/dp/9042023856>
 by Daniel Barnett, along with texts on perception by Rudolf Arnheim and
phenomenology by Maurice Merleau-Ponty, among others.

The phenomenological experience of projected film became the focus of my work,
and I created interactive "cinema sculptures" to experiment with frame rates
and perception.  I was also researching the Gestalt Principles of Organization
as well as the mechanics of early motion picture technology. Very influential
as well was John Geiger's book Chapel of Extreme
Experience<https://www.amazon.com/Chapel-Extreme-Experience-History-Stroboscopic/dp/1932360018/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470683034&sr=1-1&keywords=chapel+of+extreme+experience>,
 which explores the history of stroboscopic light and Brion Gysin's Dream
Machine.

Link to CATHARSIS<https://vimeo.com/38341893>

I believe it was Barnett who theorizes that when there is less information
(stimuli), the perceptual mechanism (mainly the nervous system working with the
senses) effectively "fills in" the gaps.  Effectively: Less Information = More
Imagination.  And when the imagination is triggered, there is a tendency to
"feel" more, rather than to simply process observable information.

The space between frames is the space of the imagination - a rich territory of
emotional, psychological, spiritual and cognitive awareness.  Video, as you
observed, does not provide space between frames - there is always information
(stimuli) to be processed, leaving the perceptual mechanism without any "gaps"
to fill in. More Information = Less Imagination.

Here is a link to my most current work in this area, a series of installations
which project a unified image using four formats.  This is a work in progress,
and a collaboration with my husband, Gordon Nelson.

Link to FourMats<https://vimeo.com/155081792>
Password: FourMats

I have so much more to say on this subject, and I look forward to the
discussion that follows!

Tara Merenda Nelson
Curator of Moving Image Collections
Visual Studies Workshop
31 Prince Street
Rochester, NY  14607
T 585 442 8676
F 585 442 1992
www.vsw.org<http://www.vsw.org/>

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Francisco Torres