From: Francisco Torres <fjtorre...@gmail.com>
To: Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Sent: Sun, May 28, 2017 7:38 pm
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Cinema v Gallery: Robert Frank in Chicago

This discussion made me think about the place of art in our current cultural
climate , how, in the last fifteen years or so, there seems there is no more
space for art as art . Art has become something of a curiosity item or , at
best, a conversation piece whose only value is monetary. Just pay attention
about the way most people who walk into gallery pay attention to the work being
exhibited- they seem to to be more interested in the produce they browse
through at the supermarket.  It was something that did not happen overnight, it
was breeding for a long time but now it is  all around us and there is not much
to be done about it. The few people who know about  artists  like Frank do so
through the media coverage of their work and must often such coverage
emphasizes how important their work  is because of the money their work
commands in the market place. This 2015 piece on Frank in the NY Times is very
typical of that -

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/magazine/robert-franks-america.html?_r=0

If you read the entire piece you will see that in the end everything is about
the money, isnt it?
Oh well.

Ok thank you ,