Thank you for your observations on the role of scholarship in creating centered
spaces for auteurs Evan.

When female filmmakers voices are centered, when I as a woman don’t have to
decrypt and explain what is perfectly clear to me — I was raised literate in a
male visual vocabulary (as is everyone in the culture). I am constantly doing
double-work. When I don’t have to do that, then gender parity will have
happened.

I grew up trained to recognize male visual language, right? Double-work is “ok
where is my vision of this, as it has been informed by my woman-experience”. It
is what women say to other women when men aren’t around, what men miss or
overlook. This is often the narrative I’m interested in. And that kind of
narrative is often demoted because it literally can’t be seen.

I can put on multiple lenses, I have practiced reading so many kinds of work by
so many kinds of speakers. Yet the voice at center? Usually male auteur. The
kind of work rewarded? Same.

That place in the center allows the auteur the power to abuse those in the
margins.

To me the deepest revolution is to sponsor women’s authorial power, to bring
queer authors, POC authors, to the center. Let many have a turn in that space.
Lateralize the mountain, get rifle of ideas of apex. Train all in how to listen
and prize story and voice coming from places “not white”, “not male”, etc.

So many people are making work now, I gave up pederasts and stalkers and found
new art old and new to research and consider. It’s not hard. I value Tippi
Hedrin more than Alfred Hitchcock’s films, not a tough decision.

I also keep the act of viewing art in balance with other areas of life - I have
few idols and art isn’t an escape for me, rather it enriches my life. It’s not
a church, either, it’s part of our built world.

I also have listened to too many women (and a smaller number of men) who have
been assaulted. That pain is real, the day to say struggle, often too much.
Art? It’s an illusion. Created in a more conscious way than our mutual traumas,
so much of trauma a boiling-over of uncontrollability and attempts to control.

Anyway ... I have worked with survivor communities training in fine art
production, it is something we should keep talking about. Certainly it’s not
one answer coming from ‘out there’ that gets us to figure out, each one of us,
what might work. It’s a gigantic constellation of conversations and ongoing
discussion and failing and trying again.

Thanks for bringing this up. It’s a valuable convo to have.

Jessica

* * * * *

Jessica Fenlon

artist : poet : experimental : http://sixth-station.com