Interesting indeed.

> The universities also play a very important role
> in both training qualified ICT personnel and participating in OSS
> projects.
I found this statement surprising. I studied at a Melbourne university, and
when I spoke to lecturers of FOSS, one lecturer even went so far as to call
those people "crazy.. and will do themselves out of a job". The IT department
was run almost exclusively by Solaris. The programming language taught was
mostly Java - one of the most free-software-unfriendly programming languages
at the time. It was also basically impossible to study without a Windows
license due to the abundance of assignments handed out exclusively in MS Word
format.

Only a single lecturer actually expressed any interest in free software,
which was a man who taught the subject "Linux System Administration"[sic].

If this statement is to be believed, either things have changed a lot
recently, or other universities take [F]OSS much more seriously than the one I
went to did.

I don't have any additional information on the Australian public sector's
involvement in any FOSS projects. The companies I have worked at were mostly
good at making the most of it for internal use, but didn't do anything with
it that the public would be aware of. This could be common, I suppose.

Regards,
Adam