On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Adam Bolte <boltron...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If this statement is to be believed, either things have changed a lot
> recently, or other universities take [F]OSS much more seriously than the one I
> went to did.

Former ANU SWEng student here. The wider university wasn't
particularly free software friendly (but not hostile, either), just
the usual indifference. (I do remember using scilab in one of my
computational courses from the Department of Mathematics, though.) The
CSIT labs were all running GNU/Linux (various versions of Kubuntu,
mainly). The introductory programming course is currently taught using
Haskell on GHC, with Java in later years and an assortment of other
languages for particular courses. The friendly neighbourhood admin was
(and probably still is) active on the local LUG list. Most assignment
work expected that you'd have sufficient access to a GNU/Linux system
and the local student society ran installfests. Some of the year-long
software engineering projects (I think these were equivalent to
Melbourne University's 433-340 and 433-440?) were windows-based, but
you could ask to be put on a team that didn't use windows.

ANU was also offering a masters-level course COMP8440 - Free and Open
Source Software development, and it looks like it will do so next
year: http://studyat.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP8440;details.html

-- Jack