On 22/12/10 12:39, Adam Bolte wrote:

> I found this statement surprising. I studied at a Melbourne university, and
> when I spoke to lecturers of FOSS, one lecturer even went so far as to call
> those people "crazy.. and will do themselves out of a job". The IT department
> was run almost exclusively by Solaris.

FWIW the HPC[0] systems at the University of Melbourne are almost
entirely Linux based, with the only exception I'm aware of being
the Compute Node Kernel (CNK) in our BlueGene/P at VLSCI (which is
released [1] under the IBM CPL[2], OSI approved but not GPL
compatible).

[0] - High Performance Computing
[1] - http://wiki.bg.anl-external.org/index.php/Cnk
[2] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Public_License