Hi,

I'm aware of basics of CD format (apparently DVD is a lot alike
though?) and I didn't imply the format was a simple thing. At least
part of the disc is standard DVD, since it can be read on a PC as
DVD-video. The DVD drive in both Xboxes is supposed to be a pretty
standard DVD-drive with some Xbox specific things (and by that I mean
the difference is in the firmware, not in the optics, correct?).

Looks like weak sectors are used by SafeDisc protection on PC and they
seem to have no problem ripping those...