On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Daniele Mazzotti <kappe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks again for your precious help. The suspend mode is not working yet
> as VESA option is still in my kernel configuration. I wanted to wait before
> removing it as I was not sure that intel video driver would have worked. My
> intention was to have a working setup with intel and being able to switch
> amongst vt(s) before getting rid of vesa, as I would peferer having the
> possibility to switch amongst vt(s)  than putting my laptop to suspend.
>
> By the way I have a 10-RELEASE therefore I suspect I will have to
> recompile the kernel with VT. Did I get you right?
>
> I googled a bit and it seems that the only thing I have to do is to add
> these devices to my kernel:
>
> device vt
> device vt_vga
>
> This is the source I am referring to: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons.
> Is this it?
>
> Cheers and thanks again,
> Daniele.

Maybe and maybe not. The wiki page needs updating.

Look at /sys/ARCH/conf for a VT configuration. If it is there, just build a
kernel with:
# make buildkernel kernconf=VT && make installkernel kernconf=VT
(You probably want to  add a reasonable -j option for your hardware to the
buildkernel.)

If you don't have a VT config file, than just set the kern.vty=vt loadable
in /boot/loader.conf. No need to build a new kernel.