On 6/3/05, Christian Weisgerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Liam J. Foy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Jem Matzan is known for poor reviews throughout *BSD.
>
> Is there anybody known for good reviews?
>
> It turns out that writing reviews that meet the expectation of
> expert readers is incredibly difficult.  In fact, I suggest that
> some of the people who keep lambasting reviews try writing some
> themselves.  For bonus, about an operating system you're only
> semi-familiar with.

If you aren't familier enough with something to evaluate it, you
shouldn't review it. Just as I wouldn't write a review of Mac OSX at
the moment, simply because I have little to no experence using it. Nor
would I write one about Kylin BSD, since as far as I can tell, if its
released, its been released in Chinese first. If someone is only
semi-familiar with something, as part of their review, they need to
spend the time to become familier. I've done plenty of evaluations of
software for customers of mine, and I certainly don't just go through
the install process, say "This sucks" and move on to the next product.

I'm aware writing a review is incredibly difficult, however, I would
suggest that one simply not write a review, if they are unwilling, or
unable to meet the standard required by the technical audience their
review is targeted at.

--- Harrison Grundy