> > "Accidental" removals from the lists are so common that I give up.  I no
> > longer even try to get back on them -- it's been happening for _years_ now,
> > and I have made multiple complaints about it, and if it's not a problem for
> > whoever runs the mailing lists, then I just don't care that much.
>
>       only one comment.   i remove people from the lists whenever
> their email bounces.

How long do you wait to determine 'bounced' email?  I've bounced mail to
hotmail recently, and it wasn't hotmail accounts problem.  (No comments
from the peanut gallery, it's an easy way for our folks on the road to
get email simply.. :)

> the threshhold is approximately 30 messages in a
> 24 hour period.

Or 5 minutes worth of emai on -hackers. :)

> mail may bounce due to DNS problems, mail box full,
> MTA misconfiguration.  i also remove people that send vacation
> messages to the list.  oh, and spammers.

How do you cause 'vacation' to not send messages to the list?  Doesn't
the stock 'vacation' program as shipped in FreeBSD send them to the
list?

>       i do NOT send the person mail to inform them that the are
> being removed from the mailing lists, because their email is bouncing.

Sometimes.:)

> > I have a hard enough time remembering which lists I subscribed to that I do
> > get traffic on to check every day to see which ones have removed me without
> > informing me.
>
>       several people with recurring email delivery problems have
> written a script to monitor their subscriptions for them.

Some of the people (who apparently have problems) didn't even know they
had problems....

Even so, do you have a copy of said scripts?  Given that -arch and
-security are not allowed to use the 'which' command, do they simply
re-subscribe themselves on a weekly basis 'just in case'?

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Even a simple way of finding out (obviously not via email) *IF* I had
been subscribed would be great.  A 'unsubscribed' mailing list that I
could run 'which' on that would tell me which lists I'm no longer on,
however I can imagine that would be a lot of work.

Nate