At 2:28 PM +0200 1999/10/13, Andre Oppermann wrote:

>>         You don't know all the hacks that they made to sendmail to make
>> it perform at previously unheard of levels.  ;-)
>
> Preciously unheard levels for sendmail?

        No, previously unheard of levels -- period.

> Nice paper! Most of the suggestions are already realized in qmail and
> postfix.

        I realize that Postfix already addresses many of these issues.  I
was involved in the earlier stages of the beta testing for Postfix,
and it (and private conversations with Wietse) figured very strongly
in the development of the later stages of that paper.

        In fact, I like to be able to claim that the idea for using Van
Jacobsen TCP-style slow-start/bounded exponential backoff for
parallelism and queue retries was an idea that I contributed to the
development of Postfix, and is one of the many factors that make it
superior.  Of course, that's starting down a rather religious path
that I don't think we want to traverse.

>           The best is on page three, "handle at least tens of
> thousands messages per day per server"... About a year ago I tested
> qmail's performace with two old 486DX100/16MB/2GBIDE and 10BaseT
> ethernet.

        And Wietse has done more with less.  Again, more on that
religious issue that I don't think we want to get started.

> As long as these additional performance enhancements are not public
> available I don't care.

        I'm very surprised to hear that, since there are some extensions
they've made that I believe will materially change the face of
delivering customized content via e-mail, and will change it to the
point where it is virtually completely unrecognizable from where we
are today.

        I'm sorry to learn that you don't want to learn about protocol
enhancements of this kind of scale.

|o| Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.