On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 12:11:51PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Max Khon writes:
> The old /usr/bin/install will fail right after new libutil gets installed.
> But at this point, we will already have new libc in /usr/lib.

No.  libutil is a prerequisite for some libraries, so it is installed
before libc.

> So, if the installworld fails, we need to install new "install" with itself:

After first installing the new libc.  Other things can easilty break if
prerequisites are not installed in the correct order.  There may be no
correct order for the current building scheme (there are too many old
utilities which may be corrupted by installing new shared libraries).

> cd src/usr.bin/xinstall && make install
>INSTALL=/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall

Installing the xinstall built by buildworld, with itself, would be safe.
Similarly for the new libc -- install it using the new xinstall using
something like

    cd /usr/src/libc
    MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/somehwere INSTALL=/somehwere/.../xinstall install

Simpler method: build and install the host xinstall static (NOSHARED=yes)
before running installworld.  It's too late to do this after installworld
corrupts the host's includes and libutil.a.

Bruce