I've had the problem recently and in the past where the system locks up
completely and a lot of the time the speaker starts a continuous beep.
Locks up solid, requires a power-cycle.

It's not a new problem, it used to happen a lot on my dual processor box
and I've had it happen a few time this week on my single processor dev
box. The hardware is very different on both boxes and compared to yours
so the cause must be somewhere fairly generic.

I *think* Netscape was in use every time but I can't see how netscape
itself can be directly responsible for a system lockup, it must be
tickling some interrupt problem.

Paul.