Mike Smith wrote:
> > "David O'Brien" wrote:
> > > I've got a Bmaked contribified version of EGCS, but didn't do g77.  So
> > > maybe a consensus should be made what to do about FORTRAN in the base
> > > system.
> >
> > If you are collecting votes, please add mine; I feel quite strongly
> > (knowing the scientists that I do that use Fortran) that it _should_
> > be in the base system. Please include it.
>
> We've already established that it doesn't need to be in the base system.

This may be true of f2c because it is not tightly bound to the
FSF compiler technology.

> Your scientist friends are probably already going to be installing
> their favorite text editors; it's no harder to install the Fortran
> support.

g77 is a frontend to the FSF compiler backend, and thus it is bound
to specific versions.  So, it could become a support nightmare to ensure
a g77 port is in sync with the egcs backend in the base distribution.
It might even be impractical to try to build a standalone g77 port.

--
Steve

finger ka...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html