> > Um, I'm still alive but can someone explain me why this can't be a
> > "regular" port?  Being useful to some but not the majority, no other
> > parts of the system depending on it, this looks like a model citizen
> > in the ideal ports world. :)
>
> Because we loose control over it.  There is a move to push some things
> out of the base system and into ports.  Fine, but then how does bug fixes
> happen?

I think this is a moot point.  As Steven pointed out months ago, the
version of f2c in the base system had rotted due to lack of maintainer.
Keeping it in the base system isn't going to keep it updated unless
*someone* wants to update it.

> I believe the committed that fixed the f2c problems on the Alpha
> really liked having the abilility to do so.

And that person would have been able to do it in the ports if they were
so motivated just as easily.

Nate