        "Rick Whitesel" <rwhite...@nbase-xyplex.com> said:

> In general I believe that dynamic configuration of the system is
> extremely useful to both the development community and the user
> community. The development community has a much easier time if they
> can load / unload drivers. As for the users, my rule of thumb is
> that a computer should never ask a human the answer to a question
> that it can find out for itself. I think this is especially true for
> configuration information. In addition, the need for dynamic system
> (re)configuration will only increase as features like PCI hot swap
> become the standard.

Of course, I completely agree with you.

The reason I prefer newconfig is it actually can support dynamic
configuration better than the new-bus. All features which new-bus has
can be implemented on newconfig, too. And, more. (See the description
about on-demand dynamic loading in my previous post.)

Furthremore, newconfig does static configuration better than the
new-bus, and newconfig has a option which removes dynamic configuration
entirely from kernel. New-bus apparently doesn't have this option.

So, which is flexible ? :-)
--
s...@sra.co.jp          Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)                 Advanced Technology Group.