On Oct 9, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Kris Moore wrote:

> On 10/09/2013 12:33, Allan Jude wrote:

>>> ​Hrm, it seems they've changed things with the 9.2 installer.  It does use
>>> GRUB2 (ewwww!) for the boot loader, and integrates support for ZFS boot
>>> environments (via beadm) into it.  :(  Shame they didn't use the BE support
>>> in the FreeBSD loader for this.  Wonder if my 9-STABLE-based PC-BSD install
>>> will get "upgraded" to GRUB?
>>>
>> The reason they went to grub2, is that the way the freebsd loader menus
>> work, it loads the kernel before it draws the menu. This means if there
>> is a problem with your kernel (probably the most valuable time to have
>> boot environments) then the menu never comes up, and you cannot select
>> which BE to boot from. Grub doesn't rely on a FreeBSD kernel until after
>> you select which BE to boot from.
>>
>> Kris and I discussed it at length with Devin Teske, and while he has
>> demonstrated being able to populate a lower menu with the ZFS datasets,
>> I am not sure if the other issue can be resolved.

I'm late to the party again ;D (didn't realize the rcs thread had turned BE)

Both problems can be solved.
The loading of the kernel *after* choosing your boot device is trivial.
We've been doing it at $work for *years* (almost a decade?)

I can put that in, whenever. Probably at the same time as implementing
the live/dynamic BE menus for selecting the root device.

> Yea, GRUB is not my first choice, but ATM this is the "cleanest" way we
> can do ZFS BE's. However if you don't like ZFS / GRUB, you can always
> use regular FreeBSD and just grab our toolchain from
> sysutils/pcbsd-utils* in ports or use our PKGNG repo:
>
> http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Turn_FreeBSD_into_PC-BSD%C2%AE
>
> I'm planning on using GRUB to do UEFI booting for 10.0 as well. But when
> the FreeBSD loader matures to the point of having support for all these
> features, I'll gladly move us back.

I had not been pushing hard on finishing the BE Forth because I knew that
it would be a greater value add if we actually had "Boot from ZFS" finished
first. Would be easier to test, that is, if I actually had a system booting from
ZFS -- which is what Allan, jmg, and myself are hopefully working toward
for FreeBSD 10.0-R. (smiles)
--
Devin