On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:07:26 +0100
Lars Engels wrote:

> > FWIW, the performance problems with proxies are limited to HTTP
> > proxies which don't speak HTTP/1.1.
>
> Are you sure?
> I just tried it manually with telnet:
> IIUC the proxy itself supports HTTP/1.1 but not the webserver behind
> the proxy?
>
> That's the same proxy that takes hours to download the patches with
> httpget.

Proxy support for HTTP/1.1 on the client side doesn't imply that it
supports full end-to-end pipelining.

The proxy can advertise 1.1 without supporting pipelining. Even if it
does that doesn't necessarily imply that it has full end-to-end
pipelining. I'm not sure what the current state of squid is, but for
years it translated client side HTTP 1.1 pipelining into individual
HTTP 1.0 requests on the server side.

I don't use freebsd-update myself, but from a quick look at the manpage
I think it could benefit by extending the cron command to allow
fetching a new release automatically.