> On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 08:39 -0400, Bruno Lauzé wrote:
>> One thing I feel FreeBSD always ignored is instrumentation frameworks.
>> I am talking about wbem, cim model and implementation like OpenPegasus. Why
>> is that?
>> I ported OpenPegasus to work in FreeBSD with few patches.
>> However, of course without providers a wbem doesn't go far. I started to see
>> how to shape providers for freebsd at:
>>
>> github.com/brunolauze/openpegasus-providers
>>
>> my openpegasus port is at:
>>
>> github.com/brunolauze/freebsd-ports/tree/master/net-mgmt/openpegasus
>>

>> Apple ships a wbem
>> Microsoft ships a wbem / non-standard
>> RedHat ships it.
>> Suse ships it.
>> z/OS ships it.
>> Ubuntu and distro-like ships it.
>> And Solaris does also.
>>
>> Why not us?
>>
>> The advantage outside of this idea is better coding technique and design to
>> expose API first and utility based on those APIs.
>> if any utility can be used as API, this discard the need for application to
>> use system() or popen() to execute shell code to accomplish system tasks,
>> which is really bad but widely widespread in lack of good API exposure of
>> those utilities. This reduce a lot of error with changes in utilities
>> switches, etc. and mitigate security risks.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be great to query FreeBSD with queries like:
>> select * from UNIX_DiskDrive where Storage_Capacity> 1000
>> or
>> select * from UNIX_SCSIController WHERE LastErrorCode <> 0
>>

>> Anyway, this is just to talk, let me know your opinions!
>>

> Are you going to propose updates/new ports for these tools?
>
> sean

Well, like I mentioned, it's pretty useless to publish my port of openpegasus
if there's no effort to develop providers for FreeBSD. A task that I started
working on when time permits it.

My point was to see what people in FreeBSD community thinks about this, about
instrumentation and OS exposure to this standard.