2015-02-11 Beeblebrox wrote:
I have been having problems described below since March of 2014, but
did not have much of an option other than to wait for gradual
improvements. Considering that 11 is nearing official RELEASE, I would
think these problems would be worth consideration. I'm posting in
current rather than xorg, because if there were many others with these
problems, it would have been brought up a long time ago.

PROBLEMS:
1. PDF viewers fail to display pdf/ps files correctly. Many files get
displayed as blank pages, and I can only get the pdf to display after
closing/re-opening the file several times, or by repeatedly scrolling
up/down past the seemingly blank page. Pages with an image have more
problems than pages with text-only.

2. With the exception of Opera (which is out-dated), all remaining
Browsers fail to display most web pages in a sane manner (Firefox,
Seamonkey, Epiphany, Midori). Chrome is the worst because even with
just a blank page it flickers, goes completely white, comes back as a
partial image and sometimes locks X for 1/2 second or so.
Problems with the other browsers usually have something to do with
sites using php (rather than static content) and I have many problems
with images being correctly displayed. Among the symptoms:
* Page phases out. Mouse-over or scroll up/down resets the display
[...]

Some of the symptoms that you describe sound familiar.
I was using FreeBSD 10-STABLE with GeForce 7600 GS and the 'nv' driver.
After upgrading x11/xorg in December 2014:

  /usr/ports/UPDATING:
  20141219:
    AFFECTS: users of x11/xorg and all xorg ports
    AUTHOR: dumbb...@freebsd.org
    The X.Org server (x11-servers/xorg-server) is updated to 1.14.

the effect was that while editing a text with emacs, large parts
of the editing window would disappear / fail to refresh (like after
scrolling) and would remain of the background color. Stepping with
a cursor through 'hidden' lines would get them redrawn one after
another. I guess this matches your statement "Page phases out.
Mouse-over or scroll up/down resets the display". And yes, Opera
kept working fine. Don't remember how other browsers and okular
behaved - if necessary, I can try switching back to 'nv' for a test.

I 'solved' my problem by switching from 'nv' to nvidia-304 driver,
which works fine with GeForce 7600 GS (but not with GeForce 7300 GT).

  Mark

(midori-on-linuxquestions.png:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qNTdaQm1pTFZTMWM/view?usp=sharing)
* PHP sites either loose track of last scroll point and jump appx one
page up (example Facebook goes up 4-5 posts to what I just read and
repeats action as I try to scroll down), OR they are only partially
displayed and need to be either refreshed (F5) or up/down scrolling to
get some kind of display (epiphany-on-forums.freebsd.png:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qbFJWMW1RZzJsYVU/view?usp=sharing)
* I get the same problem when trying to view an image, or a site with
many images. The tab with the image displays one of: a black screen, a
single color with vertical interference lines, or a mixture
(seamonkey-google-image-search.png:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qUUJvem11U3c3MVk/view?usp=sharing)
* As a result of all the above, logging in to sites, doing any
transactions which require clicking buttons and check-boxes or filling
text fields becomes extremely difficult.

3. In Gnome3, menu text is garbled (gnome3-text.png:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qWklaSUZLd0luUFk/view?usp=sharing)

4. Chromium causes other programs to mis-behave and display gets
corrupted in the old Win-XP style (chrome-corruption.png:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qMktnOWo3bV93SGM/view?usp=sharing)

5. An update about a month ago is causing problems with /dev/ums0 on
Desktop (not vt). When I move the mouse it sometimes gets stuck on a
menu item of a program or an item on the Browser (for example a result
in google search). I have to move the mouse and repeat the previous
action in order to get it unstuck. Sticky lasts about 1/5 of a second.

6. Last week I was getting jpeg file corruption when doing simple
processing (crop, rotate) in graphics/gthumb. Resulting file would
have vertical interference lines. After updating the ports/packages
yesterday I don't get that now. Probably unrelated, but worth
mentioning.

MY_SYSTEM:
+ Desktop is usually Fluxbox. Free Memory was 5 GB when screen shots
were taken (not a low-mem issue).
+ GPU is RS880 [Radeon HD 4250], with loaded modules: drm2.ko, agp.ko,
radeonkms.ko, radeonkmsfw_RS780_pfp.ko, radeonkmsfw_RS780_me.ko,
radeonkmsfw_R600_rlc.ko
+ These already in /etc/sysctl.conf:
#_Enhance shared memory X11 interface
kern.ipc.shmmax=67108864
kern.ipc.shmall=32768
#_Enhance desktop responsiveness under high CPU use (200/224)
kern.sched.preempt_thresh=224
#_chromium_browser_issue
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1