On 11 February 2015 at 23:43, Alfred Perlstein <alf...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Agreed, SMALL platforms should turn off at decision of those platform
> maintainers.  Won't fight to keep debug default on for arm, that's for sure.

Actually, it's even more important that we build and store debug files
for ARM releases. Consider a user running FreeBSD on a Raspberry Pi,
using an image they downloaded and dd'd onto an SD card. The advice
"rebuild with debug data and try to reproduce the issue" is more
absurd there than on a big amd64 machine.

All of this concerns what is on the installation media and in the
release package sets, though, and not necessarily the default setting
of the knob. It is technically possible for the release builds to
enable debug files but leave the default off in the tree, although
there are disadvantages of doing so.