I wasn't subscribed to -x11 earlier but do want to add some commentary
to this thread.

The language describing these drivers in upstream is not at all
ambiguous WRT to how bad these are and Linux distributions have
dropped them:

<cut>
menuconfig DRM_LEGACY
bool "Enable legacy drivers (DANGEROUS)"
depends on DRM && MMU
select DRM_VM
help
 Enable legacy DRI1 drivers. Those drivers expose unsafe and dangerous
 APIs to user-space, which can be used to circumvent access
 restrictions and other security measures. For backwards compatibility
 those drivers are still available, but their use is highly
 inadvisable and might harm your system.

 You are recommended to use the safe modeset-only drivers instead, and
 perform 3D emulation in user-space.

 Unless you have strong reasons to go rogue, say "N".
<cut>

There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding that removing these
drivers is taking something away from users.  I disagree.  It does
_not_ deorbit HW support.  We'd be giving users a supportable and
secure experience by dropping them.  For 2d desktop it is likely that
a framebuffer is fast(er) as David states.  On any reasonable CPU 3d
(like the server models people pointed out) may even be faster using
llvmpipe.

Regards,