I recently wrote:

>It's not the green that's important, it's the 'OK'.  The way Redhat
>Linux boots, you can see at a glance which start-up commands failed and
>which ones succeeded.  The way FreeBSD boots, it's all one big blur.

>Also, in the Linux scheme, there is a standard mechanism to keep track
>of which boot-time service has already been started, and any accidental
>re-invocation of the script (without an intervening 'stop') will be
>detected and rejected.  I personally find the 'chkconfig' command to be
>very convenient to enable, disable, and list boot-time services, without
>having to manually rename xxx.sh to xxx.sh.DISABLED and back.

I am a bit disappointed by some of the responses I saw.  Many of them
exhibit the NIH ("not invented here") syndrome.  Some are just
argumentative with no useful content.  Some make invalid assumptions.
Some argue that the idea should be rejected just because some specific
implementation might be flawed.

Nobody has come up with any any real reason why the user should not at a
glance be able to tell which boot-time services failed and which ones
succeeded.
--
Rahul