Kelly Yancey wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > By all means, use start/stop args, but hard link the .sh files into seperate
> > > directories or something so that the order can be tweaked..
> >
> > If all you want is to make sure that shutdown happens in the reverse
> > order of startup, that can be done by reversing the list in
> > rc.shutdown. But how about going a step further, and starting towards
> > a user-friendly configuration process?
> >
> > Instead of being globbed at init time, etc/rc.d is a repository for
> > things that take start/stop arguments. They are symlinked to
> > /etc/init.d with numeric prefixes to control order at initialization
> > time. Likewise, they can be symlinked to /etc/down.d (or shutdown.d)
> > with numeric prefixes to control order at shutdown time.
> >
>   How about rather then separate directories, you prefix the symlink names
> with 'S' for startup scripts and 'K' (for "kill") for shutdown scripts. Then,
> you rename rc.d to rc3.d...

I like it. It's clean and simple, almost to the point of being elegant. But why
bother adding rc?.d if you are going to right it to handle s or k then the present
home should be fine, no?

>   Ducks and runs,
>   Kelly
> --
> Kelly Yancey  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  Belmont, CA
> System Administrator,
> Maintainer, BSD Driver Database
> Coordinator, Team FreeBSD

| Optimized Computer Solutions, Inc
| 39 W14th Street, Suite 203                   212 727 2238  x132
| New York, NY 10011

org:Optimized Computer Solutions
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Network Operations & Technology
adr;quoted-printable:;;39 W14th St.=0D=0ASte 203;New York;NY;10011;US
note;quoted-printable:fBSD, PHP, MySql and OCS Rule!!!=0D=0A=0D=0AGoal is to be MS free by the end of 2k.
fn:Mikel King