Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Yeah, weird. I'm at 9600... What's wierd is that it's got to be some userland
> induced thing because printouts from the kernel are fine until init is
> invoked...

This is an ongoing "Hmm, that is strange!" type problem.  There are several
symptoms that I see at times:
1: console turns to garbage part way through /etc/rc and comes back to life
when /etc/rc exits and getty starts
2: console *disappears* part way through /etc/rc and comes back to life
when /etc/rc exits and getty starts
3: there is a burst of garbage after /etc/rc and before getty
4: the problem you describe I think I have seen a long time ago, once.
5: ^T and ^C and ^\ do not work ("not a controlling terminal") during
the execution of /etc/rc.  There are several different ways this happens
depending on whether you go via the single user shell or not.

This happens on some machines semi regularly and occasionally on others and
"never" (yet) on some others.  These are all serial consoles, and all
machines are different.  SMP machines are far worse than UP, but my UP
machines have this sort of thing occasionally too.

> sio for alpha seems fine..... wahhh.....

I am sure we can break it for compatability :-)

> > On 09-Jan-01 Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > >
> > > Something wierd has been happening lately- the serial console on my i386
> > > machine works fine up until init is forked.. THen the output is mangled, and
> > > one gets replicated and/or mangled stuff. On a reboot I'm getthing things
> > > like:
> > >
> > > WWWWWaaaaaiiiiitttttiiiiinnnnnggggg     (((((mmmmmaaaaaxxxxx     6666600000
> > > ssssseeeeecccccooooonnnnndddddsssss)))))     fffffooooorrrrr
> > > sssssyyyyysssssttttteeeeemmmmm     ppppprrrrroooooccccceeeeessssssssss
> > > `````bbbbbuuuuufffffdddddaaaaaeeeeemmmmmooooonnnnn'''''     tttttooooo
> > > ssssstttttoooooppppp...............ssssstttttoooooppppppppppeeeeeddddd
> > >

> > > It's like the output is being repeated...
> > >

> > > Anyone seen same?
> >
> > Nope, I've been booting my laptop over 115200 serial console to a my 4.x
> > workstation during ACPI testing w/o any problems.  I've also logged in and done
> > stuff on it over 115200 as well.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]