On 2001-Feb-11 13:02:43 -0800, Alfred Perlstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>* Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010211 12:52] wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 12:47:07PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> > Is it possible to have multiple ASM cores and use the appropriate
>> > routines?  Or must it all be choosen at compile time?
>>
>> It's done at compile-time.
>
>bah, lame. :(

AFAIK, Solaris does this by (very roughly) having /usr/lib/libfoo.so
depend on /usr/lib/machine/libfoo.so, where /usr/lib/machine is a
symlink to the relevant set of architecture-specific libraries.  The
dynamic loading preferentially uses the machine-specific library.
This means you get architecture-optimised routines with no additional
overheads.

I'm sure something similar would be possible with FreeBSD, but I don't
have the expertise to actually implement it.  I'm less certain how
much of a win this would be in the general scheme of things:  Apart
from special cases (like OpenSSL), I don't think the libraries have
a significant impact on overall performance.

IMHO, the main market for this feature would be people who just do
binary installs - if you're doing a buildworld, you can tune to your
hardware[1].  If we wanted to just speed up OpenSSL on binary
installs, we could have processor-optimised variants of libssl.*
available as packages (tick the box that suits your processor if you
want the optimised library).

[1] I don't think there's a lot of `build once, install on lots of
    different hardware', though I could be wrong.

Peter