On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 16:39:44 -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:26:09 +0300, "Andrey A. Chernov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > This particular case is different from what you say. There is no strict
> > POSIX/ISO C equivalent of functionality you describe,
>
> Certainly there is.  The daemon(3) function is implemented entirely on
> top of POSIX interfaces: fork(), setsid(), chdir(), open(), dup2(),
> and close().  It is supplied because many programs which attempt to do
> this from scratch get it wrong.  Similarly, err(3) could be entirely
> implemented in terms of ISO C primitives: vfprintf(), strerror(), and
> exit().  The style guide recommends its use because err() is a simpler
> interface, thus harder to get wrong than rolling one's own.  strsep(3)
> is another similar example.

I mean _strict_ equivalent in more strict sense, i.e. the same amount of
calls needed, the same interface complexity, the same capabilities, etc.

> > I.e. when two implementations does the same thing, POSIX/ISO C
> > variant is preferred.
>
> Erm, no -- the superior version is preferred.  (Something of a

Since I mean _strict_ equivalent, there can't be superior version by
definition, because it makes equivalent no strict. In case we discuss
equivalent is strict.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/