On 18 Apr 2001, at 10:33, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> -On [20010417 20:47], Matt Dillon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >    Testing it 'on' in stable on production systems and observing the
> >    relative change in performance is a worthy experiment.  Testing it
> >    'on' in current is just an experiment.
>
> I have been running vfs.vmiodirenable=1 on two STABLE boxes for the last
> week or so.  Still no problems.  Been doing massive cvsups and all that.
> This is not in combination with softupdates.  That's next on the agenda.
>
> I think Dan Langille enabled it on a cvsupd server he has set up after I
> mentioned this sysctl to him.  Dan?

I've seen no problems at all.  This is cvsup.nz.freebsd.org:

[dan@cvsup:/usr/home/dan] $ sysctl vfs.vmiodirenable
vfs.vmiodirenable: 1

$ uptime
 1:29AM  up 27 days, 14:06, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

As for how highly stressed this box is:

$ zgrep -c "\+" cvsupd.log*
cvsupd.log:5
cvsupd.log.0.gz:27
cvsupd.log.1.gz:134
cvsupd.log.2.gz:49
cvsupd.log.3.gz:22
cvsupd.log.4.gz:26
cvsupd.log.5.gz:18
cvsupd.log.6.gz:39
cvsupd.log.7.gz:24

It's a P120 with 64MB of RAM...  I can't comment on the performance
boost.  Merely that it's been stable.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://unixathome.org/finger.php