:>     set that default in stone and prevent us from being able to change
:>     it with a new kernel rev.  This being a *kernel* specific feature,
:>     we need to have control over the default in the kernel itself.
:
:What about simple check in the kernel: if total memory is above 64Mb, then
:enable this mode by default, else disable it.
:
:--
:Andrey A. Chernov

    You are assuming that turning on vmiodirenable is detrimental on a
    low-memory machine.  I don't think it is, because on a low memory
    machine you aren't going to be able to cache very much anyway.  But if
    anyone thinks it is please be my guest and test it on a low-memory
    machine on verses off.

                                                -Matt