:But we already have sysctl.conf and appropriate rc.sysctl, haven't we? What's
:wrong with putting some useful payload into it?
:
:-Maxim

    Let me explain a little more.  If it's commented out, it's fine.  But
    if you are actually setting a value in there you will override whatever
    is set in the kernel.  When people install new systems they do not
    usually override their /etc/ files, so an uncommented value will
    set that default in stone and prevent us from being able to change
    it with a new kernel rev.  This being a *kernel* specific feature,
    we need to have control over the default in the kernel itself.

                                                -Matt