The kernel configuration that I couldn't get to work was basically GENERIC with
SCSI, USB commented out and IPFW added.  The one that works is the NEWCARD with
almost identical but with the following differences only, I think.

#device          card            # pccard bus
#device         pcic                    # pcmcia bridge
 device                pccard
 device                cardbus
 device                pccbb                   # cardbus (yenta) bridge

and the -I -i 10 in my case.

Generic still has card and pcic and doesn't have pccard, cardbus and pccbb.
Those changes seem to have made my old k-6 laptop a very happy camper.:-)

The only problem was it took me three days to find a combination that worked.
This helps maintain the level of excitement generated by current, that has
abounded recently:-)

Thanks for the months of work on the integration fo cardbus into current.

ed