> Ted: I've been watching this one because I've HAD to allow uploads to
> incoming because of a need for such a place article submissions from our
> Tech mag website from 175+ countries.
>
> Your tips for monitoring (like the script for a daily listing of the
> directory) are so simple and obvious it put a smile on my face. Thanks! LUV
> this list!

Assuming you're using wuftpd:

You may have to allow incoming, but perhaps you don't have to allow
downloads of /incoming.  Think about it.  :-)

Alternatively, wuftpd has a very nice notification feature that will mail
you when something is submitted.  Some of us do have good reasons for
allowing both-way incoming access.  Make sure your /incoming directory is
unreadable in any case...

> From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thu Sep 13 18:42:44 2001
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:42:41 -0500 (CDT)
> From: wu-ftpd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: New file uploaded: file.tmp
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
>
> jgreco@ uploaded /incoming/file.tmp from 206.55.xxx.xxx.
> File size is 504586240.
> Please move the file where it belongs.

This has the advantage of being almost instantaneous.

After an @Home wanker decided to fill a few gigabytes on snarchive,
creating a denial-of-service to the legitimate users, I turned this
on.  Now when somebody tries to use me for their warez, I accidentally
corrupt a bunch of bytes in their files.

So far, they seem to have gotten the message, because I've only seen
one unauthorized file attempted upload this week.  >:->