Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I am aware that certain long-standing RMS-specific projects,
>     like emacs, require people who submit patches to sign-over their
>     copyright, but I am not aware of people generally signing
>     the copyright for their own GPL'd works over to the FSF.  RMS
>     wnats people to, but as far as I can tell most people have no
>     desire to.

The way ReiserFS does this is to affix a contract to the CVS change
submission, or require that the contract be manually affixed to any
email submissions.

The rights are assigned, with the terms being "in consideration for
examination of the submission" (it's not a contract unless there is
consideration and exchange).

The FSF handles this slightly differently, but the practical matter
of the assignment is in effect the same.

-- Terry