On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:30:53AM +1030, Mike Gratton wrote:
> > However, I have previously thought that a system that used xml files to
> > store application configs (that would then be used to generate valid conf
> > files) would be useful.
>
> I was on the verge of doing so the other day. Basically, I wanted to
> have standard configuration data describing the network, services and
> service configuration stored in XML and use XSLT to produce which-ever
> config files you need. You then introduce some inheritance and allow
> configuration to be overridden for particular hosts, subnets, networks,
> and/or platforms, and you have a powerful site-wide configuration
> management tool.

Great minds and all that:

    http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/xml-servers/

I'm going to try and do a 5 minute 'Work in Progress' on this at BSDCon
next week if anyone's interested.

Feel free to take that as a starting point.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)