About a week ago, src/lib/libc/locale/nl_langinfo.c in RELENG_4 received
an update from 1.13.2.2 to 1.13.2.3, which added nl_langinfo to
RELENG_4's libc.

I have no problem with that at all.  :-)

However, the symbol in question does not appear to exist in the version
of libc.so.4 in -CURRENT's /usr/lib/compat -- and that can cause
programs which had been compiled under -STABLE and which might well
otherwise work Just Fine under -CURRENT to fail, thus:

freebeast(5.0-C)[8] screen
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: screen: Undefined symbol "nl_langinfo"
freebeast(5.0-C)[9]

In this particular case, I've been working around the nuisance by merely
recompiling a "-CURRENT-private" version of screen (on each of my build
machine & laptop).  I'm rather less eager to do this for, say, mozilla
(for example)....

What is the procedure for getting /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.4 updated to
include nl_langinfo (and, perhaps, other symbols that might be in
-STABLE's /usr/lib/libc.so.4)?

[Were this strictly a -STABLE issue, I'd file a PR.  But for -CURRENT,
things seem to be sufficiently fluid that the additional overhead of
dealing with a PR appears (to me) to be just that -- additional
overhead.  And it's not a problem that manifests itself as a "problem
with/running -STABLE" -- it bites someone running -CURRENT, who is
supposed to have some minimal level of clue....]

Sorry about the lack of attached patch; I'm not (yet) clear on how
compat/libc.so.4 get built....  :-(

Thanks,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,